This project is read-only.

Oracle ODP

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM
Hi,
If you would like this to be used in real environments, I would suggest to not use the Oracle provider as the base for your application.
We have written a few applications using ODP, and found no significant reason (performance or ease of use) to use it.
We would also have to install and configure ODP across hundreds of servers and machines.
I was really looking forward to trying out this application.

-Edward
Nov 20, 2008 at 6:09 AM
Edited Nov 20, 2008 at 6:14 AM
Hi Edward,

you are rights about configuration and installation,
I use OPD.NET too because it provides some features that .NET provider doesn't have like OracleDependency, FailOver, XmlSaveProperties.
I think that I have to implement a generic provider that developers use as they want, my provider should authorize both .NET and Oracle provider.
for the moment, I use Microsoft .NET provider for Oracle only but I work on an .NET extension for ODP. NET,
in this manner, each developer will choose the configuration he want.

Thanks for your feedback
Feb 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM
ODP.NET is much better than Microsoft's Provider for Oracle.

[edit]

I found out my calculations were wrong in my original example I posted, so I have removed it.

However, I will quote a friend of mine who says:

The difference between using MS’s Oracle provider and Odp.Net can be very significant. Odp.Net supports more advanced features such as array-binding to command parameters, client-side results cache that can auto-detect changes on the server and remove stale results from the cache, connection pooling improvements that can detect down nodes and remove those connections from the pool; etc.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:09 PM
I was unaware of this, I will make one modification to my code, 2 lines and that will work around this issue.

-Edward
Feb 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Please read my edit, Edward.  I didn't mean to mislead you.  .NET Reflector lied to me!  It definitely wasn't me... I definitely didn't accidentally have the Windows CE Compact Framework version of System.Data loaded... Never...
Feb 12, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Great, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Even with the advanced features that ODP.net provides, I still cannot justify installing and configuring this in my enterprise.

-Edward

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM, elmogallen <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Please read my edit, Edward. I didn't mean to mislead you. .NET Reflector lied to me! It definitely wasn't me... I definitely didn't accidentally have the Windows CE Compact Framework version of System.Data loaded... Never...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (LinqToOracle@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email LinqToOracle@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com